GID has been recognized as a top sustainability leader by the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB). GRESB assesses the sustainability performance of real estate sector portfolios and assets in public, private and direct sectors worldwide. This year 850 property companies, REIT’s, funds and developers participated in the 2017 Real Estate Assessment.
GID was awarded 4th place in the United States, Residential, Non-listed peer group for its first year reporting. GID also received four Green Stars, demonstrating its excellence in Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) management and implementation.
GID’s mission is to leverage its investment, development and management expertise to enhance the communities in which it invests, lives and operates. Over the past year, GID has prioritized sustainability efforts across all areas of the company. The company established a sustainability mission and vision, as well as portfolio-wide sustainability targets and goals to set the foundation for the program. This effort has been demonstrated by the results of the GRESB report, as well as a series of other achievements:
- Developed a central, portfolio-wide data management tool to organize and track property data
- Benchmarked 100% of its portfolio in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager
- Issued its first Sustainability Report, demonstrating its commitment to transparency and sustainability
- Engaged sustainability consultants Verdani Partners, a full-service consulting firm specializing in corporate sustainability and data management
- Launched new sustainability policies including energy, water, waste, and sustainability due diligence for new acquisitions
- Initiated a portfolio-wide LED lighting retrofit program to improve energy efficiency and lighting quality
“We are incredibly pleased to see the results from our first GRESB submission and that our efforts in sustainability have been recognized by GRESB. We have faced many sustainability challenges unique to the multifamily sector that we will continue to address as we work towards our portfolio-wide goals and targets.”
– Matthew Bernstein, Co-Chair GID Sustainability Committee
To learn more about GID’s long-term sustainability program and to view their Sustainability Report, please visit https://gid.com/sustainability/.
GID is a privately held, globally diversified, and fully integrated real estate organization headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Backed by a team of more than 650 real estate professionals, GID develops, owns, and manages a premier portfolio of existing and under-development properties valued at over $17 billion. GID is engaged in all aspects of real estate investment, ownership, and operation and pursues opportunities both nationally and internationally cross multiple asset classes. During a 57-year history, GID has acquired or developed over 73,000 residential units and 16 million square feet of commercial space in twenty-four states.
More information about GID is available at https://gid.com.
GRESB is an investor driven organization assessing the sustainability performance of real asset sector portfolios and assets. It offers ESG data, scorecards, benchmark reports and portfolio analysis tools. GRESB’s mission is to enhance and protect shareholder value by assessing and empowering sustainability practices in the real asset sector.
More information about GRESB is available at https://gresb.com.